Monday 13 August 2007

International School. Seychelles. 2006.






Flamenco Dancing
Thursday, 6th December 2007
Filed under: Sixth Form News

The Flamenco Dancing Workshop is fast becoming a fixture at our school. Sixth formers are already in anticipation for the moment where Jacqui Wilford an amazing Flamenco performer and her accompanist Christopher Mullett on flamenco guitar shall return to our shores and remind us once again of the beauty that is to be found in dance.

Last year’s workshop was an unimaginable pleasure; the dance rehearsed and performed by the Sixth Formers was much more intricate than in previous years. However, its rich cultural roots inspired us left-footed individuals to dance our best to the rhythms of their dreams, hopes and fears. The performance itself emphasized the masculinity and femininity of the two parts of a truly wonderful dance. Roll on next year!

Quotes

“Learning Flamenco was definitively something worth remembering…”
Zarine Udwadia

“As a lover of dance, flamenco was a chance to learn a new style of dance and I relished the possibility. I would not pass up the opportunity to do it again, I am always up for a challenge and Flamenco is challenging but achievable.”
Linda Essandoh
“The dance is very expressive and sensual. The music itself is very beautiful and essential to the dancing. However, it is not an easy dance to learn and requires a lot of energy. Watching our teacher, Jacqui perform was truly incredible. I would definitively take part in the workshop again if I had the opportunity to do so.”
Alison Ah-Yu
“I started off confused but literally sixty minutes later, I was dancing Flamenco. It is a very tough art and involves careful control of the whole body as well as keeping time to the music and remembering to use the right foot!”
Stephen Ernesta

“It was the second time that I had taken part. I enjoyed the workshop immensely as I am very interested in dancing.”
Rosabelle Mederick

“I still remember the rhythm: Clap, 1, 2, clap, 4, 5, clap, 7, clap, 9, clap, 11…”
Marie-Michelle Lai Lam

“The Flamenco dancing workshop was a great experience. I’ve taken part in it twice so far and both times I’ve really enjoyed myself. Jacqui, the teacher, is a very talented dancer and her guitarist is amazing. During the first couple of sessions, we had to learn a dance and Jacqui made it look so much easier than it actually was! Overall, the Flamenco dancing was fun and I can’t wait for the next workshop.”
Lynn Prea

“I will never forget looking out of my office window and seeing a student showing dance steps to someone who had to come to pick them up. And to top that three others joined in!”
Mr. Kennedy.

“It was great to see your students on the beach and they were all trying out their Flamenco steps, they were so good, my daughter has only just arrived on the island and she’s already involved!”
A parent.

“We have taught in so many schools in England and we have never experienced such commitment and enjoyment from students. Their confidence and ability to concentrate and get it right is fantastic. All ages are ready to take on the challenge and I love the boys having a go as well. I am so impressed with their time keeping and no complaints…it’s very refreshing!
This is the reason we keep coming back every year. Students at the International School are amazing. We look forward to next year and some more Flamenco in Seychelles.”
Jacqui Wilford.

No comments: